The Master’s program is an efficient and most effective program that offers quality teaching and high standard projects supervised by quality staffs and performed in advanced research laboratories provided with modern research equipment and accessories. This enables the university to prepare high standard post graduate staffs and cadres to meet the future needs of the University of Zakho. During the first year, the students attend advanced courses in the field of their specialization for two semesters. After passing the required courses successfully, the students start their research projects, which end with the preparation of the thesis, its debates and final approval of the thesis by the respective examination committee.
Doctoral studies are one element in the development of knowledge and may perhaps be summarized in the words ‘new knowledge’ and ‘disciplinary and academic training’. The aim is to produce capable researchers, whether they will work in higher education or outside of higher education. The purpose of the doctorate is to train doctoral students in disciplinary and academic traditions, and above all to develop independent and critically minded researchers. Doctoral students must learn research methodology, critical analysis and independence in their studies. Research training must therefore stimulate them to adopt a disciplinary approach, which includes:
- The ability to formulate questions pertinent to the discipline and to give structure to a scientific argument.
- The ability to find adequate methods and theories for tackling problems.
- The ability to reflect critically on the subject of their dissertation, doctoral studies take three or more years of independent study and research. Almost all doctorates are completed purely by research, ending in a dissertation or thesis of 100,000-70,000 words (shorter in science).
General Conditions of Application General conditions of application and admission for post graduate studies inside the Kurdistan Region:
- The maximum age of applicants of study for master’s degree is forty five years.
- The maximum age of the applicants to study for doctoral degree is fifty five years.
- Applicants of master’s degree should have an average not less than 65%.
- The applicant of PhD should have an average not less than 70%.
- Applicants of the Master’s degree (of staff) should have a real effective service of two years after getting the last certificate, and the period of service is calculated from the date of attending the job.
- An applicant of PhD is required to be an employee (except employees of higher education who are subjected to the law of the university service) that the service has to be real and effective for a period of two years after getting the last certificate and the period of service is calculated from the date of attending his/her job.
- An applicant should pass the interview conducted by the academic department to determine his eligibility for the study and to ensure his physical, mental, psychological state and to suit his specialization.
- An applicant is required to participate in the entrance exam.
Scholarships Scholarships through the Human Capacity Development Program - its goals:
- Training a highly skilled young generation in various fields of science and technology;
- Meeting the needs of Kurdistan Region’s free market and economy for trained, specialized and highly qualified leaders in all sectors of the region’s economy;
- Benefiting from the experience and expertise of technologically developed and advanced nations to help in the process of knowledge transfer;
- Promoting excellence in scientific research in Kurdish universities.
General Requirements for Scholarships Requirements:
- Applicants applying for the Master’s degree should hold the Bachelor’s degree;
- Applicants applying for the Ph.D. degree should hold the Master’ degree;
- The applicant should hold a certificate from an institution recognized by the KRG Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research;
- The applicant’s average grade point for the Bachelor’s degree should not be less than 65 % or the applicant should be in the first quarter of his/her graduation class;
- The applicant should not be over 35 years of age for the Master’s degree and 40 years for the Ph.D. degree;
- There should be a relationship between the applicant’s education and the program for which he or she is applying.
- These requirements should give you a calculated sum score for your HCDP application.
You can apply by having the aforementioned conditions, General Conditions of Application.
The requirements for scholarship in the University of Zakho are aforementioned in the requirements section of this page.